- Grind the peppercorns and cardamom with a pinch of salt in pestle and mortar until course ground.
- Heat the oil in a wok over a medium heat and add the onion. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 7-8 minutes until golden. Reduce the heat a little if necessary.
- Meanwhile, put the coconut milk, cashews and tomato puree into a blender and blitz until smooth.
- Add the ginger and garlic to the wok and stir-fry for 2 minutes until fragrant. Chuck in the black pepper, cardamom , mustard seeds, curry leaves and chilli flakes it using. Stir-fry for 10-20 seconds until the leaves start popping.
- Pour the coconut milk into the wok. Add the lime juice and a pinch of salt. Mix well and bring to the boil. Reduce the heat a little and cook, stirring occasionally, for 8-10 minutes until lovely and thick.
- Put the prawns into the sauce and mix well. Cook, Stirring occasionally, for 4-5 minutes until cooked through. Serve immediately with rice.
1 tsp black pepper corns
2 cardamom pods
2 tbsp ground nut oil
1 onion, finely chopped
400ml tin coconut milk
30g cashew nuts
1 tbsp tomato puree
4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1 inch ginger, finely chopped
1 tsp black mustard seeds
15-20 curry leaves
1 tsp chilli flakes, optional
The juice of ½ a lime
500g raw peeled king prawns
Rice to serve