- Preheat the oven to 160 fan and grease and line 3 x 20cm spring form cake tins.
- Chuck the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, bicarbonate of soda, Billington’s Golden Caster Sugar, eggs, milk and vegetable oil into a bowl. Add a pinch of salt and mix well. Slowly whisk in the water until incorporated. It will be very runny. Don’t be alarmed.
- Divide the mixture between the three tins and bake for 25-35 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean from the centre. If you’re cooking them altogether on three levels, they will cook at different times. Check every 5 minutes after 25 minutes. Leave to cool for 10 minutes. Remove from the tins and cool completely.
- To the peanut butter buttercream, beat the butter, peanut butter, Billington’s Golden Icing Sugar and buttermilk together until fabulously smooth.
- To make the ganache, chuck the chocolate, cream and a pinch of salt into a bowl and give it 30 second blasts in a microwave, mixing in between, until melted. It will take 1 ½ – 2 ½ minutes. Mix until glossy and leave to cool.
- Place one of the cakes onto a stand and spread over half the buttercream. Add another cake and top with the remaining buttercream. Smooth out evenly and top with the final cake.
- Give the ganache a good mix and dollop it all over the top of the cake. Spread it out so that it runs down the sides. Smooth everything out as best you can and arrange the peanuts around the edge. Serve immediately.
Paid Partnership with Billington’s
For the cake
350g plain flour
100g cocoa powder
2 tsp baking powder
2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
500g Billington’s Golden Caster Sugar
370ml whole milk
180ml vegetable oil
200ml just boiled water
For the peanut butter buttercream
160g butter, super soft
80g smooth peanut butter
65g Billington’s Golden Icing Sugar
For the chocolate ganache
100g 70% dark chocolate, broken up
150ml double cream
100g toasted peanuts