My stacked club sandwich makes the ultimate lockdown lunch. Juicy grilled chicken, crispy bacon, salad and spicy harissa mayonnaise. It’s heavenly. Oddly enough, it is completely inspired by my travels. Whenever I get to a hotel late or decide to have a lazy afternoon by the pool, I always order a club sandwich and a beer. It’s a bit of a guilty pleasure of mine. My version has a bit of spice in the form of a harissa mayo, and I actually hate tomatoes so use cucumber instead. Either way it’s divine and will liven up your lunches no end.
- Between two pieces of cling film bash both pieces of chicken separately until flat and then put them into a shallow dish. Add the lemon, oil and a good pinch of salt and pepper. Mix well and leave to marinade for 5 minutes whilst you cook the bacon
- Chuck the bacon onto the grill rack and grill for 2-3 minutes a side until crispy.
- Mix the mayonnaise with the harissa, spring onions and a good pinch of salt. Slather onto two halves of the bread.
- Heat a non-stick frying pan over a medium heat and cook the chicken, one at a time, for 3-4 minutes a side or until cooked through. Put the cheese on top for the last 30 seconds to start melt.
- To serve, put the chicken on the bread with the mayo and top with the bacon, lettuce, tomato and finally the remaining bread. Cut each sarnie in half and dive in.
2 chicken breasts
The juice of ½ a lemon
1 tbsp olive oil
4 rashers of streaky bacon
1 tbsp rose harissa, optional
3 spring onions
4 slices of bread
2 slices of cheddar cheese
Baby gem lettuce to serve
1 tomato, sliced