- Heat the oil for frying in a deep saucepan over a medium heat.
- Open the halloumi down the middle where there is a natural fold and cut it into two pieces. Slice the thinner piece lengthways into chips. Slice the larger piece lengthways into fat chips and then cut each chip in half to be the same size as the rest of the pieces of halloumi.
- Tip the semolina into a shallow dish and roll each chip until coated. Fry in three to four small batches for about a minute or until golden. Remove with a slotted spoon and place onto kitchen roll to drain for a few seconds. Transfer to a plate. Sprinkle with the zaatar and toss gently.
- Meanwhile, mix the tahini, water lemon and a pinch of salt into a smooth sauce.
- Arrange the fries onto a serving dish. Drizzle over some of the sauce and garnish with the pomegranate seeds and mint. Serve immediately with the remaining sauce in a bowl.
Vegetable oil for deep-frying
3 tbsp fine ground semolina or plain flour
320g pack of halloumi
2 tbsp zaatar
The juice of 1/2 of a lemon
10g pomegranate seeds
A small handful of chopped mint leaves