- Cook the pasta for around 6-8 minutes or until al dente, drain and reserve some of the pasta water.
- Pre heat the oven to 200 fan. Melt the butter in a non-stick pan over a medium heat. Add the bacon and stir -fry for 8-10 minutes until super golden. Chuck in the garlic and mix well for 10 seconds until fragrant.
- Reduce the heat to low and put the flour into the pan. Mix well. It will look very claggy at this stage. Slowly, a splash at a time, pour in the milk and whisk continuously until it’s gone. Carry on whisking for 5 minutes until you have a lovely smooth sauce.
- Now throw all the blue cheese if using and Parmesan into the pan, along 100g of the cheddar and all the gruyere, the mustard and lots of pepper. Mix really together really well and check the seasoning, adding salt to taste.
- Chuck the pasta into the sauce and mix well. Pour in 150ml of the pasta water to help loosen. Transfer to a baking dish and top with the remaining cheddar.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until the top is bubbling and golden. Serve immediately.
2 tbsp butter
80g streaky bacon, finely chopped
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
50g plain flour
500ml whole milk
50g Blue cheese – optional
50g grated Parmesan
150g raclette or Mont Jack
2 tsp English mustard
Salt and pepper