1. Start by making the salted caramel. Tip the sugar into a small non-stick saucepan and turn the heat onto medium. After a few minutes, the sugar will start to melt at the side of the pan. Shake it well and reduce the heat to low. Melt the sugar slowly, shaking the pan regularly, for 8-10 minutes until about eighty present dissolved.
2. Add the butter to the pan and mix until combined. Add the cream, a splash at a time and stir together. Add a really good pinch of salt, mix well and pour into a heat proof mixing bowl to cool down. If you notice any lumps, after you have added all the cream, cook for another 1-2 minutes until smooth.
3. Preheat the oven to 170 fan and line a 8 inch square brownie tin. Melt the butter together with the chocolate in a heat proof bowl over a pan of simmering water.
4. Tip the sugar, flour and coco powder to a mixing bowl and stir together. Add the melted chocolate and mix until combined. Finally, crack in the eggs and mix until smooth.
5. Tip half the brownie batter into the cake tin and smooth out into an even layer. Drizzle over the salted caramel, leaving a 2cm gap around the edge. Pour over the remaining brownie batter and smooth out evenly. Pop the brownies into the oven and cook for 25-30 minutes, until the side are just pulling away. You want a skewer to come out with some batter still on it from the middle so they will be nice and fudgy. Leave to cool for 20 minutes and then put into the fridge to cool for 4 hours or overnight. Cut into 12 squares and serve at room temperature.
Makes 12 slices
For the salted caramel
100 Billingtons Molasses
90ml double cream
For the brownies
200g dark chocolate
300g Billingtons golden caster sugar
200g plain flour
2 tbsp coco powder