- Start by making the sauce. Heat the 2 tbsp of the oil in a casserole over a medium heat and add the onion. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 6-8 minutes until golden. Chuck 2 cloves of the garlic, allspice, 1 tsp paprika, 1 tsp chilli and the oregano into the pan. Add a good pinch of salt and mix well to release the flavours.
- Tip the tomatoes and tomato puree into the pan with the onions. Pour in the stock. Bring to the boil, cover, reduce the heat to low and cook, stirring occasionally, for 30 minutes until rich and thick.
- Meanwhile, chuck the beef into a bowl. Add the remaining garlic, paprika, chilli and add a good pinch of salt. Mix well and roll into 16 little meat balls.
- Heat the remaining oil in a large non-stick frying over a medium-high heat. Add the meatballs and cook for 1-2 minutes a side until golden. Transfer to the pan with the sauce. Cover, leaving a slight gap and cook for 10-12 minutes to cook the meatballs through.
- Whilst the sauce finishes, cook the pasta in a large pan of boiling salted water for 10-12 minutes or until al dente. Drain and divide between 4 serving bowls. Top with meatballs. Serve immediately with plenty of basil and cheese.
3 tbsp olive oil
1 onion, finely chopped
3 cloves garlic, crushed
1 tsp allspice
1 ½ tsp smoked paprika
1 ½ tsp chilli flakes
2 tsp dried oregano
400g tin chopped tomatoes
2 tbsp tomato puree
250ml beef stock, made with ½ a cube
400g beef mince
A small handful of roughly chopped basil leaves
Hard cheese to serve