- Put the yeast and sugar in a small dish and add 2 tablespoons lukewarm water. Stir together and set aside for a few minutes until the mixture is frothing.
- Sift the flour into a mixing bowl. Make a well in the centre and add the salt. Pour in the olive oil and yeast mixture. Start to combine with your hands, while slowly pouring in the ice-cold water. Continue to combine until all the water is incorporated. and the dough starts to stick together. If needed, add a few extra tablespoons of water to help the dough fully combine. Tip the dough out onto a floured board and knead for 5–6 minutes until shiny and stretchy. Place into an oiled mixing bowl, cover with a clean tea towel and leave for 30 minutes to rise.
- Preheat the oven to 220°C/gas mark 7. Use your hand to form one of the pieces of pide dough into an oval shape. Dust both sides with flour and roll out into a large boat shape. The dough should be really thin – you should be able to just about see the board through the dough. Once you are there, prick the dough all over with a fork. Carefully place onto a baking tray that has been lined with baking paper.
- Heat the oil in a frying pan over a high heat. Add the onion and stir-fry for 3–4 minutes until golden. Chuck in the spinach and stir-fry for 2–3 minutes until wilted. Add the cumin, black pepper and a good pinch of salt. Mix well and leave to cool for a few minutes.
- Arrange the spinach down the middle of the pide, leaving a 2cm gap around the edges. Scatter over the cheese. Fold the edges in on themselves all around the pide, so that you have a 1cm border. Starting at one end, use your thumb and forefinger to squeeze the pastry border together so that it crimps and sticks up a little. Do this all the way around and squeeze the two ends together. You should end up with a boat shape. Pop into the hot oven for 8–10 minutes, or until the two pointy edges have slightly curled up and the sides are golden. Serve immediately.
Recipe from Turkish Delights by John Gregory-Smith. Published by Kyle Books. Click here to buy the book on Amazon
For the pide
175g sachet of fast-action dried yeast
1 teaspoon caster sugar
300g OO grade durum wheat flour, plus extra for dusting
2 teaspoons salt
2 tablespoons olive oil
100ml ice-cold water
For the topping
2 tablespoons olive oil
400g baby spinach
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
460g grated Cheddar cheese