- Pre heat the oven to 180 degrees/350 F/Gas Mark 4 and rub a little butter on the bottom and sides of a 23cm/9in x 23cm/9in baking tin then line the tin with baking parchment.
- Melt the dark chocolate in a bowl over a pan of simmering water, stirring occasionally. Make sure the bottom of the bowl does not touch the water. Alternatively use a microwave in 2 minute blasts. Once completely melted set aside to cool slightly
- Meanwhile chuck the butter, caster and muscavado sugar into a blender and blend on high until they become a smooth paste. This should take about 5 minutes.
- Slowly blend the eggs, a little at a time, into the butter and sugar mixture using a low setting. Once incorporated give a final blast on high for 30 seconds.
- Transfer the butter, sugar and egg mixture into a large mixing bowl and slowly fold in the chocolate, throw in the nuts and lastly sift in the flower, baking powder, salt, coco powder, cloves and cinnamon. Fold everything together really well using a large metal spoon.
- Pour the mixture into the baking tin, smooth over the top and bake in the hot oven for 20-30 minutes until cooked perfectly see above. Once cooked remove from the oven and cool for 5 minutes in the baking tin then flip out the brownie onto a wooden board to serve. Once completely cooled peel of the baking paper and cut the brownie into squares, you should get about 16 depending on the size!
Mighty Spice Cookbook by John Gregory-Smith © John Gregory-Smith, 2011 published by Nourish Books, London £20
Available to buy on Amazon
Makes 16 squares
250g/9oz butter plus a little extra for the baking tray
300g/10.5oz dark chocolate, 70-80% cocoa
125g/4.5oz caster sugar
125g/4.5oz light muscavado sugar
3 eggs and 1 egg yolk, beaten
100g/3.5oz pecan nuts, crushed
60g/1.9oz plain flower
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp sea salt
60g/1.9oz coco powder
¼ tsp ground cloves
½ tsp ground cinnamon