- To start, wake up the grains. Heat a non-stick frying pan over a high heat. Tip the grains into a bowl and break them up with your hands. Transfer to the pan and stir-fry for a minute to warm them. Add 2 tbsp of water and continue to stir fry for another 30 seconds until the grains puff up and soften. Transfer to a mixing bowl to cool.
- Heat half the oil in a large non-stick frying pan over a high heat. Season the steaks with salt and pan fry for 1 ½ -2 minutes a side until golden. Turn off the heat and 2 tbsp of pomegranate molasses. Turn the steaks in the molasses and transfer to a warm plate. Add 1 tbsp of water to the pan, swirl it around and pour the juices over the steaks. Don’t scrape the pan as it will make the steaks taste bitter. Rest the steaks for 3 minutes.
- Whisk the remaining olive oil, together with the remaining pomegranate molasses, lemon juice and a good pinch of salt.
- Tip the mint, pomegranate seeds, carrot, onion and tomatoes into the bowl with the grains. Pour over the dressing and mix well. Transfer to a serving dish.
- Slice up the steaks and arrange over the salad. Spoon over the juices and garnish with the pistachios. Grab a fork and tuck in.
250g pack cooked mixed grains
2 tbsp olive oil
2 Welsh lamb steaks (approx. 110g each)
4 tbsp pomegranate molasses
The juice of ½ a lemon
A handful of finely chopped mint leaves
30g pomegranate seeds
1 carrot, grated
½ red onion, finely chopped
80g cherry tomatoes, halved
10g pistachios, smashed